(My obeisance to Sage Parasara who gave us the treatise Brihat Parasara Hora Shastra; Sage VarahaMihira who wrote the Brihat Samhita Hora, and the current astrologers Joni Patry, Komilla Sutton and a host of other experts who have made astrology comprehensible to the layman. I am attempting this essay only because of them. Any errors are only mine.)
At the outset, thank you for the appreciation on my first ever essay on astrology. Encouraged by the response, I have attempted to write another piece on the coming days – as assessed by the planetary positions and transits. Thanks again to the leading astrologers of the world, who have painstakingly studied from ancient texts and have brought the valuable analysis for the benefit of the world.
The month of May will see a number of planets going retrograde. What does this mean? “Retrograde motion is an apparent change in the movement of the planet through the sky. It is not REAL in that the planet does not physically start moving backwards in its orbit. It just appears to do so because of the relative positions of the planet and Earth and how they are moving around the Sun. Planets from the point of view of the earth will slow down and become stationary. They then appear to move backward in the sky and this motion is known as retrograde motion of the planets. This apparent retrograde movement is due to the motion of the earth’s orbit.”– is the explanation given in astrological books.
So, the following planets are going retrograde
- Pluto went retrograde on April 25th;
- Saturn will retrograde on May 11th– 28th September in Capricorn (Makara) starting in 7 degrees
- Jupiter will retrograde on May 14th – 13th September in Capricorn (Makara) and Sagittarius (Dhanura)
- Venus will retrograde on May 13th – 27th June. in Taurus (Vrishabha)
- Mercury breaks the Kala Sarpa Yoga on 28th May
Retrograde means the planets will behave as it was in the previous sign (in this case it will regress back to in Sagittarius). Retrograde means that we need to re-assess our actions. If we move forward, it is possible we will be pulled back. Retrograde means – the pull back is for a correction. The fact Saturn and Jupiter are in Capricorn, means it is all about governments, and their decisions and the outcome are bound to be heavy. Saturn in Capricorn represents a time of reckoning, a judgement time (Saturn) particularly for those in positions of authority, who have a duty of care to others, whose role it is to ensure the material well-being of others, to protect and defend them, and to provide the necessary organisation, systems, rules and discipline to do this (Capricorn). Give it a month – and you will see a lot of protests and rebelliousness.
So, May 11th, 12th and 14th will force you to review your actions. Saturn and Jupiter go direct in September together and this will mean more opportunities and good things will come out of this cycle.
Those born with the Moon in Sagittarius (Dhanus), Capricorn (Makara), Taurus (Vrishabha), Gemini (Mithuna), Cancer (Karkataka), Virgo (Kanya) need to exercise caution. Since Independent India’s Ascendant is Taurus, its economy will certainly slow down as we are already seeing.
- The Kala Sarpa Yoga too is going on and off and it will be there till mid-July (please refer to my last article for the detailed note). The moon will keep cutting it every now and then but it will go on till mid-July when Mercury and Sun finally break it. Till then it is an intense period. So, there is a lot going on with the celestial bodies in the Universe. Astrologers say that this retrograde energy is intense., which means that will be a major effect on economy. Retrograde means that things go in reverse.
- Mars in Aquarius (4th May- 18th June): The other big event is that Mars goes into the Shatabhishak Nakshatra (in Aquarius) between May 14th – June 4thand simultaneously Rahu goes into Mrigashira Nakshatra (May 20th, 2020) and will stay there for a while till February 2021. So, in this transit- basically the planets are in each other’s signs of rulership. At the same time Rahu is casting a trinal aspect to Mars. “Trine” normally means “threefold” or “triple.” In astrology it means “being the favourable astrological aspect of two celestial bodies 120 degrees apart.” So if you have a trine- you can go ahead thank your ‘lucky stars’!. The term ‘aspect’ is an angle the planets make to each other. Planetary aspects result in exchange of energies and the respective mass of each planet generates and radiates its own specific energy-field. Many a time, these planetary aspects take a lead over planetary conjunctions. And this is a huge event – according to astrologers.
Mrigasira Nakshatra (Translated as ‘deer-head’ as it appears in the constellation is the 5th Nakshatra) (23.20 Taurus-6.40 Gemini) is ruled by Soma, the Moon god who personifies the immortal nectar. Mrigasira is the initiator of Martian energy and is part of the Orion constellation represented by a bright star and 3 paler stars. The current aspect will result in a Martian war-like energy that may deal with taxes, anger and other extreme events. The focus of Mrigashira nakshatra in these events also means that there is searching and explorations and will be in progress till Rahu stays in it till February 2021.
Shatabhishak Nakshatra (the 24th Nakshatra) is also the star that deals with hard to cure diseases (incidentally my natal nakshatra!). Shata means 100 and Beshaj means Healers in Sanskrit. So, while Rahu and Mars are there in these Nakshatras mentioned above, major discoveries are expected to happen to spur on healing. But Mars in Shatabhishak could also mean more death in impoverished and poorer countries in May, June and July.
Regarding Venus it goes retrograde in Taurus (Vrishabha Rashi) on 13th May and turns direct on 27th June. Venus is in its own sign of Taurus and this will be powerful for money (stock markets and financials) and relationships (in a good way). What is interesting about Venus in Taurus is that it is casting a trine to the planets in Capricorn (the Earth signs). It means new jobs, opportunities, financial activities etc. However, May will be a month of depression.
- On May 1st Mercury came to be conjunct with Uranus in 12 degrees in Aries (Kumbha Rashi) (see figure) When Mercury is conjunct Uranus, things happen around communication and learning. Uranus deals with electricity and energy. In astrology Uranus is known as the “Awakener,” since its aspects and transits bring sudden changes and shocks. It rules Aquarius, the quirky innovator, and astrologers say that sometimes these upheavals are a necessary to clear the air for a more liberated path. Incidentally, it was an amateur astronomer named William Herschel, who first identified Uranus through his homemade telescope on March 13, 1781. A serendipitous discovery in this Englishman’s backyard that befits the planet of quirky, innovation, which was thought to be star until then.
It may not be a coincidence that along with the discovery of Uranus, the Industrial Revolution and several inventions took off around that period of time. So, it is to be seen if there will be similar inventions and discoveries with energy that will be used to heal the body.
- On May 7th is the full moon in Libra (Tula Rashi). Astronomically it is the last of the supermoons this year! Libra is a sign of Politics. With Saturn and Jupiter retrograde in Capricorn, in mid-May, governments will see transformation in their governing. And this will be a global. Venus retrograde in Taurus – deals with money and government. There will be a churning- but that which promises to pave way for better days eventually. By the time Feb- March 2021, will see much better days.
- On May 20th- Venus squares with Neptune. If there is no transparency in a relationship professionally or personally, this will dissolve relationships
Coming to September: Ketu will also finally move out of Mula Nakshatra on September 19th (the True node) (refer to my previous essay). It will be around that time some clarity will be there. Planets will turn direct and things will come back to normalcy. This destruction will come to an end. However, the solar eclipses of June and July may bring in new problems but not concerned with the current problems of Covid 19. But for now, let’s look at the present now and look forward to February 2021.
The present time is to internalize and develop ourselves and plan for the future. While there has been loss of life, and sympathies to all families that have suffered immensely, we need to look at the future of hope. By 2022-24, there will be a world that will work more harmoniously.
7 thoughts on “The Year 2020- the progress of planets -May’20 ©Sangeeta Venkatesh”
How well you have explained about the retrogade planets! I always had a doubt about the concept. Another wonderfully written article and the phase wise analysis made complete sense. We can already see signs of another huge problem coming our way!
I will explore other aspects by and by Nimisha. Thank you. I hope your mum approves too!
Another gem article Sangeeta .
Thank you Sudhanshu! Stay safe!
Thank you Hema!
Pingback: June ’20 – A month of eclipses and a time to show restraint ©Sangeeta Venkatesh – sojourn-with-san